Game Preview: Georgia Southern hosts UAB Saturday in Paulson
The Georgia Southern football team returns to action on Saturday when it hosts UAB at Allen E. Paulson Stadium. Kickoff for the non-conference tilt is set for 6:02 p.m. and will be streamed online through ESPN+. The game will also be available via radio on the Georgia Southern Sports Network. Here’s all you need to know about the game:
Game 2: Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023 • 6 PM
Location: Statesboro, Ga. (Allen E. Paulson Stadium; 25,000)
Promotion: Teacher Appreciation
UAB: 1-0, 0-0 AAC
Georgia Southern: 1-0, 0-0 SBC
Broadcast: ESPN+ (online)
PBP: Danny Waugh; Analyst: David Hulvey; Sidelines: LeeAnna Gaye
Inside The Series
Overall Record UAB leads, 1-0
In Statesboro Never Met
In Birmingham UAB leads, 1-0
Dilfer vs. GS Never Met
Helton vs. UAB 0-1
Helton vs. Dilfer Never Met
Current Streak UAB, Won 1 (2022)
Last Meeting UAB 35, GS 21 (2022)
Longest GS Streak N/A
Longest UAB Streak One (2022-)
Largest GS Win N/A
Largest UAB Win 14 points (2022 in Birmingham)
GS vs. current AAC Members 3-7
GS vs. teams from Alabama 23-16
GS in state of Georgia 226-65-1
- This will be the second meeting on the gridiron between Georgia Southern and UAB with the Blazers leading 1-0. UAB won the only other meeting in the series, a 35-21 victory in Birmingham last season.
- Starting running back Jalen White is the lone Eagle from the state of Alabama, hailing from Daleville.
- Since a Nov. 18, 2006 overtime loss to Central Arkansas that ended the season, the Eagles have won 31 of their past 32 home games against non-conference opponents. The only loss during that 32-game stretch came to No. 14 BYU in 2021.
- Georgia Southern has posted a 128-17 all-time record at Paulson Stadium in non-conference contests.
- Offensive coordinator Bryan Ellis was a graduate assistant at UAB in 2012 and 2013. Special teams coordinator Turner West was an intern for the Blazers in 2011.
Countdown to Kickoff
10: Ten true freshmen—DeAndre Buchannon, KD Dorsey, Ayden Jackson, Caimon Mathis, David Mbadinga, Branden Palmer, Troy Pikes, Kebba Secka, Alex Smith and Robert Wright Jr.— saw action in the opener against The Citadel.
9: Georgia Southern has run 70 or more plays in nine of 14 games under head coach Clay Helton, including 74 in last week’s opener against The Citadel.
8: In last year’s game at UAB, the Eagles had just eight rushing first downs.
7: Seven former Georgia Southern players are on active NFL rosters for opening weekend—Darrell Baker Jr., Tyler Bass, Matt Breida, Younghoe Koo, Jerick McKinnon, NaJee Thompson and Kindle Vildor.
6: The Georgia Southern running game averaged six yards per carry last week against The Citadel with both Jalen White and OJ Arnold averaging 6.6 yards per carry.
5: The Eagles were one of five FBS teams in the country to post a shutout in the first weekend of action.
4: Georgia Southern has one of the best home-field advantages in the FBS as the Eagles have an official NCAA record of 210-48 at Allen E. Paulson Stadium. That .814 winning percentage is the fourth best in the FBS.
3: Georgia Southern started the game with three, three-and-outs against The Citadel in last week’s season opener, a feat the Eagle defense failed to do so in any of its 13 games last year.
2: This will be the second game in a scheduled two-game, home-and-home series between Georgia Southern and UAB.
1: Last week’s 34-0 win over The Citadel was the first shutout for Clay Helton in 84 games as a head coach.
Sept. 16 at Wisconsin – Madison, Wisc. – 12 p.m. (ET)/11 a.m. (local) – Big Ten Network
gseagles.com Georgia Southern Athletics