Ernie Yarbrough. GHSA Softball Coordinator, released the following information:
Due to the impact COVID-19 has had with a number of schools and school systems creating delays, suspensions and in some cases dropped schedules for softball, the GHSA Board of Trustees and Dr. Hines have approved the following revisions for the remainder of the 2020 Fast Pitch Softball season.
1. The final play date has been moved to Friday, October 16. Region reports for the seeds into the State Tournament are due no later than 9:00 AM Saturday, October 17.
2. The 1st round of the tournament will be; October 19 & 20 (4A, 5A, 6A, A-Public) – October 20 & 21 (2A, 3A, 7A, A-Private)
3. The 2nd round of the tournament will be; October 22 & 23 (4A, 5A, 6A, A-Public) – October 23 & 24 (2A, 3A, 7A, A-Private)
NOTE: It is imperative that the classifications stay on the respective dates listed due to availability of umpires.
4. The quarterfinal round of the tournament will be; October 27 & 28 (All classifications)
5. The Final Four will be; (October 30 & 31) NOTE: There will NOT be an opening ceremonies and the earliest game time on the 30th will be 1:00 PM, and 2:00 PM on the 31st.
These changes were made in an effort to provide regions an extended period to best complete their region schedules, keep the 2 of 3 format in the first three rounds, and be able to eliminate some of the safety cobcerns that 64 teams at the Elite Eight present, yet still provide a championship atmosphere at a neutral site. The positive take at this point is that the schools will still have the opportunity to play a full season if they choose to.