P. Justin Lancaster, MD, has joined Optim’s network of renowned musculoskeletal-focused physicians at Optim Sports Medicine in Statesboro.
A native of Statesboro, Dr. Lancaster is Board Certified in family practice and Fellowship trained and board certified in sports medicine. This combination of primary care and sports medicine is beneficial as it enables him to treat people who are already physically active, but might need help to improve their performance, treat and prevent injury, enhance overall health, and maintain an active lifestyle through exercise and a well-balanced, nutritious diet.
“As a primary care sports medicine physician, my practice focuses on helping a wide variety of patients, from school-aged children to senior citizens and school athletes to weekend warriors, maintain their active lifestyles, and overall good health,” explains Dr. Lancaster.
His goal is to diagnose and treat injuries and conditions affecting the musculoskeletal system without surgical intervention. His specialty care includes:
· Comprehensive health care for active patients, providing diagnosis and treatment of injuries and conditions related to sports or other physical activities.
· Concussion and hydration management and heat-related illnesses
· Using non-surgical modalities such as physical therapy and customized exercises, to help prevent and treat common sports-related muscular and skeletal conditions and injuries.
· Obtain and utilize special knowledge of athletic conditioning principles and apply it when helping patients.
· Focus on rehabilitation to increase and optimize functionality and mobility, and to prevent injuries from reoccurring.
· Educate patients with nutritional advice and guidance, mainly on diet and exercise, and how it will help build strength and endurance, enhancing their athletic performance.
Dr. Lancaster also provides platelet rich plasma injections as a treatment option for arthritis and tendinopathies. He utilizes a variety of minimally invasive, ultrasound-guided treatments with a focus on accuracy and pain reduction.
“We’re excited to welcome Dr. Lancaster to our team,” said David Perry, CEO of Optim Health System. “His specialized training in the musculoskeletal system will benefit our patients seeking diagnosis and treatment to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle. Dr. Lancaster’s ability to collaborate with his colleagues throughout the Optim Health System will also ensure his patients have access to the full range of our network’s orthopedic services.”
After graduating from Mercer University Medical School, he completed his residency at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital in Albany, Ga., and most recently completed a fellowship with Andrews Sports Medicine at the American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham, Ala. Dr. Lancaster served as team physician for the University of West Alabama, Briarwood Christian School in Birmingham, and Terrell High School in Southwest Georgia. He also assisted in sports coverage for a number of institutions and teams to include the University of Alabama, Samford University, Birmingham-Southern College, Birmingham Barons Minor League Team (affiliate of the White Sox organization), Birmingham Hammers semi-professional soccer team, USA Cheer National Team, and the Birmingham Ballet.
“I’m excited to return home to Statesboro and join the Optim Sports Medicine team,” said Dr. Lancaster. “I look forward to providing care to this community that means so much to me and my family.”
He and his wife, Emily, are settling into their new home with their children: Fitz, 4 years old; Charlotte, 2; and newborn twin girls Georgia and Rose.
Information provided to AllOnGeorgia by Optim.