Note: This data is based on the 12PM report from the Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH) on April 17, 2020.
Population of Georgia: 10,617,423
% of Georgia Population over 65: 13.9% (per 2019 Census data)
71,684 tests have been administered
17,194 confirmed COVID-19 cases
3,324 people hospitalized in Georgia
650 deaths reported
*Georgia does not differentiate between outstanding tests and ‘negative’ tests.
61% of confirmed cases are in persons age 18-59
34% of confirmed cases are in persons over 60
1% of confirmed cases are in persons age 1-17
4% of confirmed cases are in persons whose age is unknown by DPH
54% of confirmed cases are in women (Females make up 51% of the Georgia population)
44% of confirmed cases are in men
2% of cases are in persons who sex is unknown by DPH
DEATHS: Consideration of Underlying Medical Conditions
- 69.69% of deaths reported were people with underlying health conditions.
- 3.38% — or 22 people — were those with no underlying health issues.
- In the remaining 26%, it was unknown whether or not the people had underlying health issues.
DEATHS: Consideration of Age
- 74.6% of the people who died were over the age 65.
- Of the deaths of people under 65 years of age, only 8 of the 163 people had no underlying health issue.
- That accounts for 4.9% of the deaths under 65 and 1.23% of the total deaths in Georgia to date
- Another 37 people under 65 were listed as ‘unknown’ with regard to any underlying health issue.