Georgia Southern University Alumni Association recognized the highest levels of achievement and service among the University’s alumni during the annual Alumni Awards ceremony.
“This is an exciting time of year as we celebrate the accomplishments of our most distinguished alumni,” said Georgia Southern President Kyle Marrero. “We honor alumni who represent the very best of Georgia Southern. They are leaders and business men and women who continue to give back and support our Eagle Nation.”
This year’s full list of winners include:
- Georgia Rep. Jon Burns (’75) — Talon Award
- James “Major” Woodall (’16) — Community Hero Award
- (The late) William “Bill” Rogers Cary (’80) —Marvin Pittman Award
- Rachel Rhodes-Dyar (’76) and Ken Dyar (’76) — The Sweetheart Award
- (The late) Craig Harney (’82) — George & Lucy Armstrong Award
- Roger H. Smith (’90) — Alumni Service Award
- Andrea Lanier Papageorge (’80) — Professional Achievement Award
- Margaret Kilpatrick (’19) — Outstanding Senior Award
In addition, Excellence in Business Awards were given to the following top alumni-owned businesses:
- Mike Cummings and Bill Hoyt — Sir Shop in Dublin, Georgia
- Margot Dawkins — Atlanta Advertising Novelty in Atlanta, Georgia
- Aleks Davis — B2S Life Sciences in Bargersville, Indiana
- Christopher Jann — Medicus in Cumming, Georgia
- Marshall Smith — Pride Pools in Claxton, Georgia
- Alex Smith — Pride Pools in Brooklet, Georgia
- Robin Rich — Automation Systems in Statesboro, Georgia
“Georgia Southern has always believed in giving students hands-on, practical learning,” stated Trip Addison, vice president for University Advancement and president of the Georgia Southern University Foundation. “We’ve built a reputation for producing graduates who are ready to hit the ground running and ready to be leaders. The honorees are just a small sample of the entrepreneurial spirit and can-do attitude of Georgia Southern graduates, and we’re thrilled to recognize these outstanding alumni-owned businesses.”
Excellence in Business Awards
Alumni Awards Criteria:
Excellence in Business Awards
Presented to Alumni Owned Businesses who operate in a manner consistent with the Georgia Southern values of: collaboration, academic excellence, discovery and innovation, integrity, openness and inclusion, and sustainability.
Alumni Service Award
Presented to the alumnus, who through volunteerism and/or philanthropy, has made the greatest contribution to the advancement of the University.
Community Service Award
Presented to the alumnus who has shown remarkable achievements in local, regional, national and international service.
Professional Achievement Award
Presented to the alumnus who has made the greatest achievement in his/her career.
Presented to a couple who are both alumni and who, together or separately, have supported the University through philanthropy, service or professional work.
George & Lucy Armstrong Award
Presented to an Armstrong alumnus who best exemplifies the University’s “core values as expressed through collaboration, academic excellence, discovery and innovation, integrity, openness and inclusion and sustainability.”
Marvin Pittman Award
Presented to a Georgia Southern alumnus who best exemplifies the University’s “core values as expressed through collaboration, academic excellence, discovery and innovation, integrity, openness and inclusion and sustainability.”
Presented to the alumnus who best represents excellence in his/her career field, service to his/her alma mater and service to the community.