Shannon Whitfield, Chairman of the Walker County Board of Commissioners, presented a State of the County report to members of the Walker County Chamber of Commerce recently. Some of the highlights included:
- Total liabilities have reduced from $74.2 million in December 2016 to $24 million as of August 31, 2022
- County government’s dependence on property taxes remains virtually unchanged from 2017 to 2022. Total revenue from property taxes has only increased 0.00895% from $13,966,654 in 2017 to $14,091,765 in 2022.
- 3 projects in northern Walker County are beginning to take shape:
- 118.51 miles of county roads have been paved with TSPLOST funds through 2021
- Walker Transit’s Roper route grew to 330 trips in August
- Tourism ventures, like the #WalkerRocks Selfie Trail, have resumed post COVID