The Georgia Southern Eagles will open the season this Saturday, September 4 with Gardner-Webb University Bulldogs.
Here’s the game preview 411 from GSU Athletics:
Kickoff is set for 6:05 p.m. and will be streamed online through ESPN3. The game will also be available via radio on the Georgia Southern Sports Network. Here’s all you need to know about the game:
Game 1: Saturday, Sept. 4, 2021 • 6 PM
Location: Statesboro, Ga. (Allen E. Paulson Stadium; 25,000)
Healthcare/First Responders Appreciation Game
Night of Champions
Gardner-Webb: 0-0, 0-0 Big South
Georgia Southern: 0-0, 0-0 SBC
Broadcast: ESPN3 (online)
PBP: Matt Stewart; Analyst: Danny Waugh
Inside The Series
Overall: Fourth Meeting (GS leads, 2-1) • 2-0 Home; 0-1 Away
Current Streak: GS, Won 2
Last Meeting: 2002, GS won 56-0 – Paulson Stadium | Statesboro, Ga.
• The first two meetings in the series came in 1982 (G-W, 44-6) and 1983 (GS, 25-11) when the Eagles were playing as members of the NAIA and NCAA unclassified, respectively. The only meeting with both teams playing as members of the NCAA came in 2002 when the 12th-ranked Eagles shut out G-W 56-0 at home as Georgia Southern rushed for 591 yards and seven touchdowns.
• Georgia Southern has won 13 of its past 14 home openers and is 30-7-1 all-time in home openers (30-6 at Paulson Stadium).
• The Eagles have won 27 straight home games against non-conference opponents dating back to a Nov. 18, 2006 overtime loss to Central Arkansas that ended the season. Georgia Southern posts a 124-16 all-time record at Paulson Stadium in non-conference contests.
• Inside linebackers coach Travis Cunningham played at Gardner-Webb in 1999 and 2000 before becoming a coach for the Runnin’ Bulldogs from 2001-2017.
Countdown to Kickoff
- 10: The Eagles enter the season with 10 players who have at least one recovered fumble as a collegiate player. Gunner NaJee Thompson leads the way with three, all coming on muffed punt returns.
- 9: The starting cornerback combo of redshirt sophomore Derrick Canteen (6) and super senior Darrell Baker Jr. (3) have combined for nine career interceptions.
- 8: Junior Anthony Beck II has had just eight punts out of 119 career kicks go for touchbacks.
- 7: In the last meeting between the two squads, coming in 2002, Georgia Southern rushed for seven touchdowns and 591 yards in a 56-0 win.
- 6: Georgia Southern has lost just six times in 36 previous home openers at Allen E. Paulson Stadium.
- 5: The Eagles return five players who have started at least 10 games in a row at Georgia Southern: Logan Langemeier (13), Derrick Canteen (13), Aaron Dowdell (13), Darrell Baker Jr. (12) and Anthony Wilson (11).
- 4: This will be the fourth meeting between Georgia Southern and Gardner-Webb, with the Eagles leading 2-1, but just the second with both teams full-time members of the NCAA.
- 3: Georgia Southern has won all three homes contests against teams currently in the Big South Conference.
- 2: The Eagles’ have a .829 winning percentage at Allen E. Paulson Stadium, the second-best in the FBS behind only Alabama at Bryant-Denny Stadium.
- 1: After forcing just one turnover over the first three games of last season, the Eagles forced 25 turnovers over the final 10 games, including multiple turnovers in seven straight to finish No. 1 in the FBS in interceptions and total takeaways.
Sept. 11 at Florida Atlantic – Boca Raton, Fla. – 3:30 p.m.