Attorney General Chris Carr is encouraging all Georgians to join the Office of the Attorney General and the Statewide Opioid Task Force in National Drug Take Back Day efforts. The nationwide event will take place this Saturday, October 27, 2017.
“All too often, our very own medicine cabinets can serve as a conduit for the opioid epidemic,” said Attorney General Chris Carr. “As we continue to strengthen our state’s response and cut down on the illicit use of prescription drugs, I want to stress the importance of safely disposing of any unused, expired prescription drugs. This Saturday, I’m encouraging Georgians to empty their medicine cabinets, so that together, we can ensure there are no more tears, no more deaths and no more heartache as a result of the opioid epidemic.”
To help support local communities in National Drug Take Back Day efforts, the Office of the Attorney General also offers Outreach Resources through the Dose of Reality Online Ordering Portal. The Online Ordering Portal allows Georgia organizations access to high-quality Dose of Reality branded materials at no cost, some of which may be customized. See a sample of one of the posters attached. If visitors would like to access the portal but do not have login information, they can call (404) 656-3300 or email DoseOfRealityGA@law.ga.gov.
Below, find more helpful tips as it relates to safe disposal:
Never Flush or Drain
Unused or expired prescription medications should never be flushed or poured down the drain. These potentially dangerous pharmaceutical substances can contribute to contamination of our water supply if not disposed of properly.
- Prescriptions (controlled and non-controlled)
- Over-the-counter medications
- Ointments, patches, non-aerosol sprays and inhalers
- Creams, vials, and pet medications
Do Not Bring
- Illegal drugs, needles/sharps, or aerosol cans
- Bio-hazardous materials (anything containing bodily liquid or blood)
- Mercury thermometers or personal care products (shampoo, soaps, lotions, sunscreens, ect.)
- Household hazardous waste (paint, pesticides, oil, gas, and no acids)