GOP gubernatorial candidate, Brian Kemp, released his plan for school safety on Wednesday and so has his Democratic opponent.
Kemp’s plan includes the following:
- $90 million dollars in spending on school safety – Part of this plan includes an infusion of $30,000 for Georgia’s 2,292 public schools.
- Additional security measures such as more cameras
- Mental health services for students such as adding more counselors specializing in mental health.
- More armed school police, if local systems want armed police.
- Use funding for gun training controlled by local school districts to use related to school safety. Although Kemp’s plan did not directly say he would arm teachers, his allows flexibility to possibly arming teachers if local districts decide to do so.
Kemp affirmed in a press conference that arming teachers is something local school boards should decide at the local level. Kemp’s proposal has to do with safety and not restricting of the Second Amendment.
Kemp and his Democratic opponent, Stacey Abrams, both agree that schools should have sufficient armed police officers on site to keep students and teachers safe.
Abrams’ approach differs in that she wants to enact stricter gun laws and implement a comprehensive mental health care approach. Abrams wants to expand Medicaid, increase universal background checks, and put in a three-day waiting period for gun buyers.
Abrams maintains that having stricter gun laws should be apart of the school safety conversation and believes gun laws are the current challenge to student safety in schools today.
As part of her funding for school safety, Abrams would like to allow school districts to use ESPLOST tax money to fund school safety measures. Currently, the law allows for equipment and technologies related to school security to be used by ESPLOST dollars, but the law would have to change to include hiring police personnel.
School districts in Georgia can already allow teachers to carry guns in the classroom under a law passed in 2012.
To review the candidate’s positions on their plans and gun safety, review their websites below:
Stacey Abrams – https://staceyabrams.com/vision/gun-safety/