The Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG) announced the state’s top technical college student and top technical college instructor for 2019. Heather Williamson of Central Georgia Technical College received the Georgia Occupational Award of Leadership (GOAL).
“This is always an exciting time of year at TCSG because we have the opportunity to celebrate what truly makes us great—our students and instructors,” said TCSG Commissioner, Matt Arthur. “Heather and Leyner will make tremendous ambassadors for TCSG and I congratulate both of them for their hard work and dedication to technical education in Georgia.”
The GOAL program, now in its 48th year, recognizes the most outstanding technical education students at the 22 TCSG colleges. As an award winner, Heather will make public appearances as a representative for technical education during the next year, including meeting with the Governor and addressing the Georgia General Assembly.
Heather Williamson is an Early Childhood Care and Education student from Central Georgia Technical College. She received the GOAL program’s grand prize: a new, made-in-Georgia 2019 KIA Optima, courtesy of KIA Motors Manufacturing Georgia and delivered by Ed Voyles KIA of Chamblee.
The first runner-up for the technical education student of the year was Ruth Atchley, an Early Childhood Care and Education student at Ogeechee Technical College.
The nine 2019 GOAL finalists were:
- Heather Williamson, Central Georgia Technical College
- Nhu Quynh (Sue) Nguyen, Chattahoochee Technical College
- Victoria Moushon, Columbus Technical College
- Brandon Neighbors, Georgia Northwestern Technical College
- Tina-Kay Rhoden, Georgia Piedmont Technical College
- Ruth Atchley, Ogeechee Technical College
- Renea Hanna, Savannah Technical College
- Mary Kelly Browning, Southern Crescent Technical College
- Ellen Nikki Hinson, Wiregrass Georgia Technical College