U.S. News and World Report released their Best High Schools rankings this week for 2017. According to the report, over 100 high schools in Georgia High Schools made this list based on specific criteria.
How does US News and World Report come up with their list?
US News and World Report reviewed reading and math results for students in their respective states and factored in a percentage of economically disadvantaged students which tend to score lower on these evaluations. The school’s math and reading proficiency ratings for disadvantaged students for statewide results compared to statewide results of those schools who perform above average. The graduation rate is another key indicator in the methodology, and US News and World Report excludes schools whose graduation rates are less than 75 percent. Lastly, they use the College and Career Readiness Index, which is based on the school’s Advanced Placement participation level at the school and how well students performance on those Advanced Placement tests.
US News and World Report rates high schools in three classifications:
- Gold- Top 500 schools based on highest college readiness
- Silver – High-performing schools based on lower college readiness
- Bronze – High-performing schools based on state exam performance, listed alphabetically.
Of the Georgia high schools ranked for 2017’s Best High Schools, 18 were awarded gold medals, 45 earned silver medals, and 48 received bronze medals. The highest ranked magnet school was Davidson Magnet School in Augusta, GA.
For Georgia, the top ten Best High Schools were as follows:
- Columbus High School in Muscogee County/Columbus, GA
- Dekalb School of Arts in Dekalb County/Avondale Estates, GA
- Savannah Arts Academy in Chatham County/Savannah, GA
- Davidson Magnet School in Richmond County/Augusta, GA
- Walton County High School in Cobb County/Marietta, GA
- Fulton Science Academy High School in Fulton County/Alpharetta, GA
- Cambridge High School in Fulton County/Milton, GA
- Northview High School in Gwinnett County/Duluth, GA
- Alpharetta High School in Fulton County/Alpharetta, GA
- North Gwinnett High School in Gwinnett County/Swuanee, GA
See the complete list of Georgia schools that received recognition as one of the nation’s Best High Schools: List of Georgia Schools